A quick and easy way to clean your jewellery, this method works with all types of metals including bronze, silver, gold, plated metals and gemstones.
Note: Be careful with porous gemstones such as turquoise, emerald, pearls, shell, opal, amber, coral and malachite, as they may lose their shine if immersed in this solution for a prolonged period of time.
What you need
- Two bowls - Half a lemon - Soft toothbrush - Toothpaste - Towel/Kitchen roll - Hairdryer - Jewellery polishing cloth
1) Take two bowls and add 2 cups of cold water into each bowl. One bowl is for cleaning, the other is for rinsing.
2) Add a squish of lemon juice into one bowl.
3) Immerse your jewellery into the lemon juice and water.
4) Leave for 30-60 seconds, use a soft toothbrush to clean your jewellery.
5) If your jewellery is very tarnished, use a pea size amount of toothpaste on a toothbrush to clean your item. Bicarbonate soda toothpaste is the best but regular toothpaste also works well.
6) Remove your jewellery and rinse thoroughly in cold water to get rid of the lemon juice.
7) Shake off excess water and dry jewellery well in a towel or kitchen roll.
8) To dry jewellery more thoroughly use a hairdryer on a cool-warm heat setting.
9) For a super shiny finish, buff your item with a jewellery polishing cloth.