To keep your jewellery looking its best, a little care and attention will help maintain its lustre and longevity for years to come.
Caring for your Jewellery
- Chemicals in skin and hair products, perfume and household products can cause jewellery to tarnish. Apply skin and hair products before putting on your jewellery.
- Water and chemicals, (especially chlorine) will cause your jewellery to erode and tarnish, so avoid wearing items in the shower, sea, swimming pool or hot tub.
- Remove your jewellery before engaging in physical exercise or household activities such as cleaning or gardening, perspiration will cause your jewellery to tarnish.
- Keep your jewellery away from extreme temperatures, humidity and sunlight.
- Remove jewellery before going to bed.
- Jewellery should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off for all of the reasons above.
- After wearing your jewellery, use a soft jewellery polishing cloth to remove residues from your skin and build up from skin products before storing items away.
Crystals and Gemstones
Crystals and gemstones are delicate and need to be handled with care, they are not indestructible and can fracture and chip if they are knocked against hard surfaces.
Storing your Jewellery
- Exposure to air and moisture will cause your jewellery to tarnish. To minimise this occurring store your jewellery in a zip lock bag (polyethylene)/air tight bag, a silica gel sachet will also help to absorb moisture.
- Check that clasps on necklaces and bracelets are securely fastened and keep them away from crystals and gemstones to avoid scratches.
- Store your jewellery separately to prevent them from getting tangled or scratched.
Cleaning your Jewellery
To keep your jewellery looking bright and shiny and in tip top condition, we recommend polishing your items every now and then.
Bronze and Silver
Silver and bronze jewellery will naturally tarnish (oxidise) over time. It is best practise to remove tarnishing when it first appears, rather than leaving it for long durations of time, which may be harder to remove.
Use a micro fibre cloth or a silver jewellery polishing cloth and gently buff to a sheen. You can also use a small amount of silver polish on a micro fibre cloth to clean your jewellery, always wipe off any excess silver polish with a soft cloth or it may leave a white powdery film on the surface. To protect your hands and to keep them clean during polishing wear vinyl gloves.
Take extra care when cleaning gold vermeil use a micro fibre cloth or a silver jewellery polishing cloth and gently buff to a sheen.
To ensure gold is looking its best use a micro fibre cloth or a gold polishing cloth and gently buff to a sheen.
We do not add nickel to our jewellery, around 15% of the population have an allergic reaction to nickel, so all of our jewellery is nickel free.
Cleaning and Reconditioning Service
We offer a polishing and reconditioning service for all of our jewellery. To keep your jewellery looking brand new, we will clean each item and replace necklace cords and fittings if needed. Please contact us for a quote.
If you have any questions about caring for your jewellery please contact us: email@example.com